Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register myself as self-employed?

Once you have decided that you want to be self-employed, you need to register with HM Revenue & Customs. Legally, you must register as soon as you start self-employment or within the first three months, otherwise you may have to pay a penalty of £100. HM Revenue & Customs have produced a leaflet ‘Are you thinking of working for yourself?’ which contains a form that you need to complete and send off to register as self-employed.

You can download the form by going to or register by telephoning ‘Helpline for the Newly Self-Employed’ 08459 15 45 15. If you expect your income from the business to be in excess of £5,075 (April 2009) then you will need to arrange payment of the Class 2 self-employed National Insurance contributions of £2.40 per week. This can be done by completing the Direct Debit mandate in the booklet or by downloading the form. If you are unable to pay by Direct Debit then you will be sent a bill every 13 weeks.

If you need a more detailed response or would like to know more about how we can support your business, please contact us by using our Contact Us form, or alternatively you can email us at or call us on 0844 2640390.